Hello!
I haven't had time to update my blog in a while! Every time I go to the internet cafe I don't have much time, since I need to working on other stuff for planning my classes. Last week was a pretty casual week. We still had classes and lots of planning to do, but nothing out of the ordinary.
On Sunday, after climbing the mountain, I was so sore! I hadn't worked out or done very much exercise up until the mountain climbing, so my body was sooo sore!
Jamie and I went with our family- Mama, Baba, Mama's brother and Mwendy to the Morogoro Hotel. We went for the afternoon to go swimming and play on the playground with Mwendy. The pool there was really nice, and we got some soda's as well. (it's cool here, soda comes in those old school glass bottles). There was a little baby pool and the big pool, we made Mwendy come with us in the big pool. But I felt bad for him, since it was a lot colder and he started shivering. He loved it though at first and was kicking his feet trying to swim. (He's only 4 and half, so we tried to teach him and he did okay). Then we went on the swing set and slide and just hung out for a while there. It was a really nice afternoon, and I felt like I was back in Canada the way the pool was and a grassy area with tall trees and the playground.
Monday through Friday were just regular days- going to classes, teaching and planning for other classes. Wednesday, we had the internet cafe, with our HBC kids, where we take them and do activities or practice using the computer, typing skills and how to use the internet. We met at the HBC building but only 3 of the kids were there. We waited for a while, but then just decided to start walking to the internet cafe. It was so funny, because as we were walking, more and more of our class ran and joined our little group walking to the internet cafe. So we started with 3 at HBC then by the end had about 8 kids who all caught up to us walking. For that internet cafe we helped the kids make email and facebook accounts. They were all so happy to do this! It was slightly frustrating though, because a lot of the emails wouldn't work because the servers (hotmail, google etc) were not allowing that many new emails within the same IP address. Some kids didn't end up getting their accounts set up.
On our class on Thursday with the HBC kids, we were all there, except for our translator who was a bit late. So we ended up just playing some games while we waited. They are all okay at English but we didn't want to start the lesson yet. We played duck duck goose with them, even though they are probably too old for that game (9- 15 years old). There's also no word for goose in Swahili so we changed it to duck, duck, chicken (in Swahili: Bata, bata, kuku). It was still so funny, they were running around and laughing so much so they had fun anyways. Then we started teaching English class.
Anyways, I have to go again now,
Friday- We left for our trip to Zanzibar! It was amazing!
I'm going to write my next blog when I have time about Zanzibar!
Love: Jenn
No comments:
Post a Comment